This week’s Tuesdays With Dorie recipe for Apple-Apple Bread Pudding is all about comfort food that warms your tummy. This recipe takes a traditional bread pudding and adds a double dose of apples – sauted sliced apples and apple butter.
I did take some liberties with this recipe (you can find the complete original recipe at Liz’s terrific blog, Cake or Death? ):
– I halved the recipe to accommodate a 8×3 loaf pan.
– Challah was my bread of choice. The bread was cut into thick slices, liberally slathered with apple butter, and then cut into cubes.
– 1/2 tsp of cinnamon was added to the custard mixture.
– Baking time was adjusted to 1 hour
– Once out of the oven, I let the bread pudding cool to room temp. After unmolding from the pan, the bread pudding is sliced, and these slices are fried on both sides with a generous amount of butter (just like frying up french toast).
Sure, this is a total fat bomb but boy o’ boy is it delicious! Frying creates a beautiful crust, and its slight crunchy exterior gives in to the soft, rich interior. Although the fruit is no longer distinguishable, the apple flavor definitely shines. A little dusting of powdered sugar and a scoop of vanilla ice cream is all you need to complete this dessert.
Thank you Liz for this super delicious selection!