Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake (FFwD)

October 29, 2010 – Comments (21) construction loan bank

Finally, my first post for French Fridays with Dorie!   Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you seen the 700+ people on the blogosphere cooking and baking their way through Dorie Greenspan’s gorgeous new cookbook Around My French Table.    I’m particularly excited about embarking with the new group, as I’ll have an opportunity to work on more savory dishes — after all, my hubs and I can’t survive on desserts alone!

For the month of October, the recipes were selected by Dorie herself.  Although the group will not be posting the recipes,  Dorie was kind enough to publish the October recipes here.  The savory recipes sound super delicious…I have some serious catching up to do.

Go figure – my first recipe is a dessert!

This recipe for Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake is for all of you apple lovers.  It’s essentially a bounty of chopped apples with a little cake batter stirred in.  The cake has a little kick with a shot of dark rum.  Ridiculously easy to make, the cake can be prepped and in the oven in minutes.   The recipe calls for an 8 inch springform pan.  Argh — I have every size springform, except for the 8 inch.  I ended up using a 7 inch pan and a 4 inch pan.

The mini made for a perfectly portioned cake for one!

After slicing into the larger cake, I was treated to a beautiful mosaic of apples.  This is definitely more fruit than cake!

I thoroughly enjoyed this cake — super moist, chock full of apple-y, rum-y goodness!

I know what I’m having with my coffee in the am.

21 Responses to Marie-Helene’s Apple Cake (FFwD)

1. audrey says:

Your cake is gorgeous…and so are your photos. And thank you for the link to the recipes…I want to share this one and now I can!

2. Looks just so good.

3. Liz @ Blog is the New Black says:

This looks delicious- like it would be great for Thanksgiving, also!

4. That looks just amazing!!! Lovely photos! Love the dusting with powdered sugar too!
    Trevor Sis Boom.

5. beth says:

Very pretty cake and beautiful pictures. I obviously need a new camera or some lessions. Love the site. B

6. Candy Girl says:

Welcome to FFWD! Your cake and photos are beautiful! I love the dusting of confectioner’s sugar on top – so pretty.

7. ingrid says:

My kiddos would love this. They much prefer fruity desserts over anything chocolate-y.

Happy Friday!
    ~ingrid

8. Your cake looks wonderful. I love your photo and how beautiful it looks with the dollop of whipped cream and dusting of powdered sugar. Very appealing and so delicious, I know!

9. Eliana says:

Babe – your cake looks absolutely perfect. I just got my copy of the book today and can’t wait to start cooking and baking from it.

10. flourchild says:

Congrats on your first post! Your cake looks excellent!

11. flourchild says:

This cake warmed my heart and my tummy!!:) It truly is a beautiful cake and so easy to make!

12. Gorgeous photos – so glad you joined up!! :)

13. your pictures are fantastic, and make me want this cake all over again!

14. StephIrey says:

Your pictures are so gorgeous! I love the cake for one.

15. I LOVE how fluffy and high your cake turned out! Totally jealous! Good job!

16. Tammy says:

Your photos are beautiful and show off the cake in a real-life way. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my cake, too! ;)

17. marcella says:

Your cakes look so beautiful! Definitely better to use a smaller pan, the 9″ pan made for a very flat cake.

18. Linda, This looks picture perfect! I made a mini and regret that…but I have a few bundts lying around so it made more sense! :) – mary

19. Tammy says:

Your cake is beautiful and your photography shows it off quite well. Thanks for visiting my blog, too!

20. rebecca says:

Oh what beautiful pictures!!!

21. Lindsey says: